Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Let's Talk Wedding Color!

When you're thinking wedding colors, I bet you're thinking "Are they REALLY that important?" Now, while my husband will probably tell you no ... I am here to steer you in the right direction and tell you, "YES! TOTALLY! DEFINITELY! PICK YOUR COLORS FIRST!" No, but seriously. Pick your colors first.

Having a focus to your wedding with color will help guide the rest of your decisions decoration-wise. My color pallet for my wedding was coral, mint, and gray. I promise you I picked these colors before they got trendy. Or maybe now I just think they're trendy because I'm obsessed with them and find everything I can in those colors and buy it. I used a "Real Simple" bridal magazine that was given to me by my rockin' friend Casey (which has now been passed onto Kristin!) to find my palette. Fortunately, there are now whole websites dedicated to wedding colors, as well as Pinterest boards galore. The Perfect Palette has the best Pinterest boards and website that can help you decide what direction you want to go in for color. I actually still follow her on Pinterest to get color palettes for my house or for other events I'm thinking of throwing. You never know when you need a good color palette!

So, anyways- why did I chose coral, mint & gray? I knew I wanted something soft/light for the summer. I knew I wanted casualness for the backyard. I am obsessed with coral, so I knew that had to get in there somehow. I actually had looked at bridesmaid dresses and loved the gray from J.Crew. The mint came from looking at different colors matched together with coral & gray, as well as picking through bridal bouquets in magazines. After picking up paint swatches, pairing things together, I knew I had hit the jackpot with my colors.

*i also had to find out if they had cupcakes that matched my colors. once i found out there was mint, i was sold*

*makes it easy to decide what color flip flops to buy when you've got colors to stick to!*

Now, why is it important to pick a color palette? You need a focus. You don't necessarily need three colors. You can have as many, or as little, as you'd like. But everyone will ask you (mostly the florist) what colors are we working with? Knowing that I had my color choices helped my florist narrow down the flower choices. It helped me when decided what the guys and gals would wear. It helped our graphic designer figure out what our invitations would look like. It just gives you that focus and helps you tie everything together.

 *stunning looking wedding party, right? our colors were very subtle, but important in keeping our focus! these people also help a ton in making them look dannnng good*

At some point in your wedding planning you get worried about being overwhelmed with color, or not having enough color. I remember my mom asking me at one point, "Now whereeeee exactly is this mint going to fit in?" Aka: What are you thiiiiinking, Elyse?! But I knew that even if it showed up a little in my bouquet, on the guy's ties and Brandon's socks, then that was good enough for me. You will be pleasently surprised at how it turns out when it's all said & done. You can't have too little color, you can't have too much, but you have to have something. Even if that something is white! I think for my next big event I'd like a pink & gold palette. (I'd also like that event to be a surprise 30th birthday party that Brandon will plan for me... but that's another story!) Something just crazy, bright, and sparkly. Go big with your color. Go bold. Go crazy. Have fun! Email us if you are having color questions...we'd love to help! Xo, E

*i started painting everything i could mint, for fear that there wasn't enough mint. it helped that this was the color we wanted to paint our bedroom, but it looked horrible in a bedroom. cute for a wedding, though!*

*we also themed our wedding around "BE" - aka BrandonElyse. how lucky were we that our initials spelled a word! we may have played it out... i'm actually still kind of obsessed with it*




Hi everyone!  Kristin here :-)

Elyse's wedding was as amazing as it looks!!!  Everything was PERFECT!!! 

Elyse is absolutely correct!  Picking your colors should be one of the first decisions you tackle!!  BUT...it is not an easy feat...especially for people like me who can barely decide on what they want to eat for lunch! Ha! 

I did have a good starting point though...I am obsessed with "Tiffany Blue".  I had always thought that if I were to get married in the winter months, I would do Tiff Blue with red.  I never thought about a spring or summer wedding (for some odd reason).   I started looking through magazines and websites like Elyse mentioned, but nothing was tickling my fancy.  Not to mention that there are A MILLION shades of "Tiff" blue!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (some aliases  (but not "it")are : sea foam, Robin egg, ocean breeze, tropical waters, etc. so watch out).  I carried around one of my Tiffany earring bags in my purse like it was my set of keys for (what seemed to be) forever! 

I love love love pink so that was the "hue" I thought I would go for, but everything looked too baby showerish....and Mitch was not a huge fan of the idea of fuchsia :-)  THEN one day I fell in love with a color (I don't remember the defining moment).....a peachy/blush pink!!!!  Ever since then I have been obsessed (like Elyse mentioned)...it must be a mental thing cuz now my closet has WAY more peachy pink and Tiffany than ever before!  Ha! :-)  BUT again....they are A MILLION shades of pink...

So, I guess my advice (to make things easier on you) is to pick a color that does not have A MILLION different shades!! :-)

THEN the task was the dresses for my lovely ladies...I knew I wanted them to wear Tiff Blue color shoes (sorry about THAT debacle girls...) so the search was on.  Well, I didn't want them to look like Easter eggs walking down the isle, so I decided (with lots of help) on cappuccino.  SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy with the color palate!!!  So, the FINAL decision was Tiffany Blue, Peachy/blush pink and cappuccino!!!  It felt amazing to check that off "the list".



***My wedding shoes!!!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!  From makemechic.com!!
So until the big day, I only have a sneak peek of some of the colors together...So tune back in in SIXTEEN days-AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH to check out how I incorporated them all together!!!!  Sorry, I do not have a swatch of the cappuccino...I cannot find it in "the binder".

  

**Gave you a couple different shots with and with out flash....so hard to tell by a pic sometimes...  Here are our table numbers, invitation, response card (fromWedding Paper Divas) and hotel info.  Shout out to my AMAZING Elyse who shared her table numbers with me (and let me spray paint them)!!!!!!!!!  That is true love! Thank you SO very much!!!!!
 
**I just used our "P" as a way for the table numbers to stand up :-)

Xo, K

Chat again soon!
Hope you enjoyed our WW this week!!

Xo, E & K




No comments:

Post a Comment