Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Wedding Wednesday - DJ Style!

My WW post was inspired by a conversation that Kristin and I had this week (since she is NINE DAYS from her wedding!!!!!!!!!!!!!) about music. Music is such a HUGE part of the wedding and it's something that most people don't think of until the last second. I wanted to offer our wedding playlist that we put together for some suggestions to people looking for good music. Disclaimer: This is what WE thought was good. You may want to go in a totalllllllll opposite direction and that is fine! It is YOUR wedding and it's important that your music reflects you & your significant other.


Pre-ceremony:
We played a lot of Indie Rock & Acoustic music for this. I wanted about 30-40 minutes worth of music so there wasn't awkward silence. People don't realize if you're playing music, but they totally realize when you AREN'T playing music. Here are some suggestions:

Ben Howard: "Keep Your Head Up" & "Only Love"
Mat Kearney: "Undeniable" & "Hey Mama"
Matt Costa: "Behind the Moon"
The Lumineers: "Ho Hey" "Flowers in your Hair" & "Stubborn Love"
There's also lots of good music by Capital Cities, Imagine Dragons, and Of Monsters & Men

Processional:
Bridal Party: Ben Howard - "Old Pine" (We loved this song because it talked about summer and friendships and that was the perfect combo for our BP!)
Bride walking down the aisle: Meiko - "Stuck on You"   I was obsessed with this song when I heard it and KNEW it was what I had to have. It's very unique, but the message is amazing.

*i ran down the aisle so i didn't get much change to play my song...*

Post Ceremony:
After the kiss! Walking back down the aisle: Keb'Mo - "Life is Beautiful" (Our flower girl carried a chalkboard with this written on it) :)


Then ... you've gotta have some music to fill that cocktail hour! I honestly don't remember what ended up getting played because I just asked for love songs, but I did have two requests:

"Home" - Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros
"You Make My Dreams Come True" - Hall & Oates

Dinner: 
We did not make our bridal party enter the tent doing anything for a laugh. I've been in weddings where I have dreaded doing this and if you don't know the person that you're going to walk in with, it's always very nerve-wracking. However, I've also been in weddings where I've cried from laughing so hard at what people do! We just had our party all walk in old-fashioned-like to the song "You Always Make me Smile" by Kyle Andrews.

*regular ole entrance*

Instead of "traditional" dinner music, we played all 90s hip-hop - quite the different direction! We listened to 90s hip-hop on Pandora radio for two solid weeks trying to put together a good non-explicit playlist. I will gladly forward that on to anyone who asks! We have a serious list of songs because we didn't know how long it would take. 

Dancing: 
First Dance: "You are the Best Thing" - Ray LaMontagne
Mother/Son Dance: "I Hope You Dance" - LeAnn Womack
Father/Daughter Dance: "Just the Way You Are" - Billy Joel

My only request for dancing was that there was NOOOO group dances. I only remember one person begging me to play the "Cupid Shuffle" at one point in the night and I just said it was not our style. I also wish I would have added "We Are Family" to the do-not-play list. I get the point of the song, just don't love it!

My only two requests for the dancing hour were "Shout" & "Living on a Prayer". My TOP TWO fave songs to dance to at weddings. 

*b's bustin some moves here apparently*

At a point, people will forget what you're playing and just rock out. So, I hope this helps you out in SOME way! I know that music can be more overwhelming than you plan for because there is SO much to choose from, but it's SO fun to put together a list! Rock on! 






4 comments:

  1. Had an fantastic experience while getting aware about the quality based wedding dj (hochzeits dj) which the company is offering each and every customer along with several other benefits. In recent duration, numerous firms are providing such kind of services to individuals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi friends how are you I am share with you some dj tips its rock hope you like.There is no single answer to this question. At Dubspot, we want to help you figure out and achieve what great DJing means to you. The goal of our DJ program is to make that choice as well-informed as possible. The journey will be extremely rewarding. We can’t wait to take it with you! In the meantime, here are some tips from our talented instructors to get you started. Thorough preparation is very valuable, especially with the constant barrage of new music DJs must face on a daily basis. I generally won’t play a track in a live set until I’ve: Beat Gridded it, Run it through Mixed In Key, Marked every key section of the song with Cue Points, Set strategic loops on cool parts and vocal phrases, Written appropriate notes in the comments field of my browser, and Organized it into all the appropriate playlists. This way even if a song is brand new, I can play it as if I’ve known it for years. If you are a warm up DJ don’t play banging stuff. Warm up the crowd properly. Nothing will get you not invited back worse than coming on to an empty room and playing every banging hit track. It won’t work and you will piss off the promoter and the people playing afterward. Feel it out and warm up to a peak. The party will go well and people will want to book you again.
    find a wedding dj

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice pictures!! You both look outstanding. We have booked The Contemporary themed venue, which is one of unique Wedding venue. The space has an outdoor area too and location is very cool and elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love your 90s dinner list! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete